Sitting in the Learning Commons is interesting. in the heart of the old building using some really up to date tech to do something new to me. People are being quiet but the lofty ceiling height makes for an echoey space. A learning commons is a new trend for K-12 school libraries that many TLs are interested in. I still don't think I have a handle on the concept. How is is different that simply having seating areas and work areas in your library? I just love the juxtaposition of tradition and modernity in this space!
In addition to the workspaces for PCs and Macs they lend camcorders, laptops and LCD projectors. They also had Learning Centre assistants a cool website of student toolkits including pages on 'digital tattoos' and 'choosing technology'. All sorts of things that I wish I had had as a student in university back in the 90s when all I had was Kermit, AOL and dial-up. Pretty cool. But what is a learning commons in a K-12 school? Is it more then a library with a website?
This movement seems to be much farther along in the United States than in Canada, so is the Learning Commons being played out in the Canadian context? Here are some Canadian sources:
Do you have a Learning Commons at your school? What is it like and how was it developed?
No comments:
Post a Comment